Mercury Insurance Brokers is a trading name of CoverMy Lts which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), our firm reference number is 507931. We are also registered with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) under reference number Z3279216.
Protecting your privacy and the security of your personal information is very important to us. For the purposes of this policy, we will obtain and process your data which may include both personal data, such as your name, address, date of birth, claims history and “special” categories of data such as information about offences, criminal or motoring convictions and medical conditions.
How do we obtain your data?
We receive your personal data either directly from you, a third party you have asked to act on your behalf or other parties named on the insurance policy. We may also receive data from other insurers or insurance brokers you have dealt with in the past, for example, if we request them to provide us with proof of your no claims bonus. We will also receive your data if you have used the services of a price comparison website.
Your data may also be obtained from credit reference agencies, such as Experian, or debt tracing agencies.
Information about you may also be gathered from the Claims Underwriting Exchange (CUE), the Motor Insurance Bureau (MIB) and the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA).
How we use your data
- To provide you with an insurance quotation and to manage and administer your policy
- To verify your identity using various credit agencies, establish your claims history using the CUE
- To assist with any claims, policy enquiries, arranging premium finance and managing outstanding balances
- To communicate with you for any purpose in relation to the insurance policy
- To confirm that you or anyone named on the policy does not appear on the HM Treasury Financial Sanctions List
- To prevent fraud and money laundering
- To enable us to analyse on a personal or aggregated level for product performance, rating and underwriting factors that enables us to improve our services and product offerings
Who we share your data with
We may share/transfer your data for one or more of the following reasons:
- When you request a quote we pass your personal data to our panel of insurers who provide quotations for your policy. Insurers or their agents will act as joint data controllers. The data you provide will be held on our internal systems until they are removed in line with our retention policy.
- Making credit decisions, if you choose to pay your insurance by monthly instalments your data will be used to make decisions about your credit worthiness. If you are paying by monthly instalments your data will also be shared with our premium finance provider, CUA Finance Ltd.
- In order to reduce insurance fraud and verify your identity, we may share your data with various credit reference agencies and anti-fraud databases such as the Claims Underwriting Exchange (CUE) and credit check companies such as Experian.
- In order for us to fulfil our legal and regulatory obligations we may share your personal data with authorities such as the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), The Financial Ombudsman, police and other governmental agencies if requested and required to do so.
- Details of any vehicle insured and the insurer will also be passed to the Motor Insurance Database (MID), operated by the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB).
- We may share your personal data with anyone named on the insurance policy, or anyone whom you have authorised to discuss the policy on your behalf.
- We may share your personal data with debt collection agencies (DCAs) or debt tracing services for the purpose of managing debts and recovering outstanding monies owing on your account.
- We may also share your personal data with internal or external auditors or professional advisors such as solicitors.
We will only store your data for as long as is necessary to comply with the requirements of your insurance contract and any legal obligations or lawful processing conditions. You have a number of rights concerning the personal information we use. In some cases even when you make a request concerning your personal information, we may not be required, or be able to carry out your request as this may result in us not being able to fulfil our legal and regulatory obligations under the lawful processing conditions under which we hold your data or because there is a minimum statutory period of time for which we have to keep your information. If this is the case, we’ll let you know our reasons.
Your Rights Include
- The right to be informed – You have the right to be informed about the collection and use of your data.
- The right of access – You can request a copy of any of the data we hold on you.
- The right of rectification – You have the right to ensure that all the data we hold on you is accurate.
- The right to erasure – You have the right to have your personal details erased, unless we are obliged to store it for legal and/or regulatory reasons.
- The right to restrict processing – You have the right to restrict or suppress the processing of your personal data.
- The right to object – You have the right to object to your data being used for direct marketing purposes or profiling of your data for the purpose of direct marketing.
- The right to object to automated decision making and profiling – You have the right to object to any automated decision making where there is no human intervention involved where this results in a legal implication to you.
- The right to complain – You have the right to complain about the use of your personal data. In the first instance please contact us at Mercury Insurance Brokers, Field House, Station Approach, Harlow, Essex CM20 2FB or email [email protected]. You are also entitled to complain to the Information Commissioner at ICO.org.uk.
Retention periods vary depending on the level of data received. If you purchase one of our policies we will retain your personal data for at least seven years from when your policy expires.
Up to date data
We will endeavour to ensure that your personal data is accurate and up to date. Please tell us if the information we hold about you is incorrect or if it changes, for example a change of address or change of vehicle.
We may from time to time send or contact you with details of offers of other related products and services. We will ask for your consent to opt in to receive marketing correspondence when you purchase a policy with us. You can opt out at any time by contacting us.
Session cookies – Are automatically deleted at the end of each browsing session, typically when the web browser is closed.
Persistent cookies – Remain until the expiry date and time set by the web browser. They can be manually deleted by the user.
Third Party cookies – These come from a domain that is different to the website being visited. For example, we use Google analytics to help us track how visitors use our site which helps us improve it. Cookies are collected in an anonymous form and include the number of visitors to our site and which pages they visited.
To withdraw your consent after accepting a cookie, delete the CookiesAccepted cookie. Find out how at www.aboutcookies.org.
When you request a quotation from our website you agree that we may contact you, regardless of whether you chose to proceed with it.
Third Party Websites